When I was growing up in the 70s, I couldn’t understand the fuss over Vitamix blenders or why they felt the need to advertise on TV. After all, my family had a blender, in chic avocado green, and it worked just fine to make us milkshakes.
(And if you are a kid, what else do you need a blender for?)
It wasn’t until I became a young adult that I began to reconsider the Vitamix. I was concerned about eating healthy and had a kitchen that was none-too-large. I wanted to start drinking green smoothies more often and my regular blender just wasn’t cutting it. With my regular blender, it wouldn’t blend the greens properly and would leave giant chunks in the smoothie even if I let it run for a long time. There’s nothing worse than going to drink a smoothie and getting big chunks of kale or spinach in your mouth because your blender didn’t blend them well enough.
When I found out that the Vitamix was good for blending almost everything including leafy greens and other vegetables, and actually replaced a whole bunch of bulky appliances, I decided to invest in one and I’ve been hooked ever since. I can now drink my green smoothies every day and actually enjoy them because they come out very smooth and well-blended. Conveniently, I use it for much more than smoothies now too.
Click Here if you’re looking to purchase a Vitamix and you will be redirected to the official website. By using this link, you will get Free Shipping which is a $25 value ($35 in Canada).
Features of the Vitamix 5200
- Powerful 2-horsepower motor with stainless steel blades.
- Very sturdy.
- Big 64 oz container with lots of options for other containers.
- 7 year warranty.
- Blends almost anything you can throw at it including leafy greens and vegetables that other blenders don’t even come close to blending thoroughly.
- Comes with a detailed recipe book that has hundreds of healthy recipes for smoothies, soups, dressings/condiments, nut-milks, dough for bread, and much more.
How It Works
The Vitamix 5200 combines a powerful 2-horsepower motor, sturdy body and stainless steel blades to create a blender and food processing machine unlike any other. Not only does it blend, chop and puree foods, but it can also grind grains into flour, meats into sausage, whole spices into rubs and nuts into non-dairy milks (almond, hazelnut, cashew, etc.). The motor is so powerful, and the blades are so sturdy, you can even use the Vitamix to knead bread dough or process veggies into soup. . . and yes, the Vitamix’s blades are fast and powerful enough to actually heat and cook the soup for you! All you need to do is put your ingredients for the soup into the machine, turn it on and let it run for a few minutes, and it will start to heat up and cook the soup right in the container. The Vitamix even comes with a big recipe book that has many different recipes for soups, dressings, smoothies, nut-milks, dough, and much more. It really does make eating healthy 10x easier.
(Oddly enough, you can also use the Vitamix to make homemade ice cream that is a lot healthier than store-bought ice cream)
When you are done using the Vitamix, all you need to do is add some hot water and a drop or two of dish soap. Turn on your Vitamix and it will actually clean itself. Just give it a good rinse afterwards.
What’s even more amazing is how sturdy the Vitamix is. It’s made right here in America and you get a 7-year warranty to back up the Vitamix’s workmanship.
You also get a 30 day in-home trial: If you don’t like the machine, return it (at Vitamix’s expense) and you get your money back. Vitamix even lets you return your machine up to a year after you buy it for a partial refund. I love the way Vitamix stands behind its products.
Advantages and Disadvantages
There are so many benefits to owning a Vitamix, I’m not sure where to begin. But here are a few off the top of my head:
- Vitamix is a whole-food processor and blender in one. You can add whole fruits, veggies, nuts, grains. . .whatever you like, and the Vitamix will process them however you like.
- Great for green smoothies. It blends the greens and fruits together so well that you won’t even know you have greens in your smoothie. It leaves no chunks at all like other blenders do.
- Makes healthy eating way easier.
- You can use the Vitamix to freshly make condiments that you would normally buy in the store, such as ketchup, mayonnaise and salad dressings. You’ll save money and avoid the preservatives and additives often used in making store-bought products. The Vitamix is also great if you or your family members have food allergies and you need to control what goes into your food.
- Unlike juicers, the Vitamix doesn’t just extract juice from fruits. Instead, it pulverizes whole fruits so well that they become a nutrient-rich juice, full of fiber and other good things that get lost in the extraction process with standard juicers.
- The Vitamix is self-cleaning.
- You can cook soup and freeze ice cream in the Vitamix.
As with anything, there are a few cons to the Vitamix 5200, although it’s nothing we feel should change your mind about purchasing this awesome machine.
- The Vitamix is noisier than most standard blenders. Of course with a 2-horsepower motor this is to be expected, but we feel it’s something that needs to be mentioned.
- You need separate containers for different kinds of grinding. Some of the Vitamix 5200 packages include both a dry grains container as well as a container for processing other foods. So depending on what you plan on using it for, you may need to buy a few extra pieces.
Where to Buy
I wouldn’t buy the Vitamix from any place other than it’s official website (remember to use this link to get free shipping). You can check out videos of the Vitamix in action and get tons of recipes that can help you learn how to make the most of your machine. Ordering from the website also ensures that you get your 30 day risk-free trial, free shipping, and 7-year warranty. Plus, many of the 5200 packages include different accessories, so you’ll want to review each one to see which meets your family’s needs.
If you prefer to call and order rather than order online, you can call Vitamix Account Mgr. JP Minard and order directly from him at his direct line of 440-782-2303 (or 800-848-2649 Ext 2303). Make sure to mention discount code: 06-008159 to get your free shipping.
I couldn’t be happier with my Vitamix and always encourage friends and family to buy one. I’ve saved a lot of money over the years by being able to make foods that are tastier and healthier than store-bought because I make them myself, with fresh ingredients. Plus, if you have specific dietary needs, the Vitamix helps reduce the expense of having to buy special foods. Visit the Vitamix site to see it in action and to get a free trial for yourself.